Have you ever wondered why your morning and nighttime skin care routines aren’t identical?
The natural processes in your skin behave differently at different times of the day due to a handy little process called your circadian rhythm. Your circadian rhythm is essentially your internal clock that dictates when you should feel alert and when you should feel tired, doling out chemicals like melatonin from your hypothalamus as it sees fit.
Because of this rhythm, different aspects of your skincare routine are more effective when applied before you go to bed as opposed to when you wake up, and vice versa. So what areas of skin health should you focus on when?
You encounter so many different pollutants, free radicals, and UV radiation throughout the day that can easily overwhelm the natural reparative functions of your skin. Because of this, your main skincare concern before you walk out the door should be boosting your skin’s defensive functions as much as possible.
There are many different ways to achieve effective defensive skincare, so if you already have a morning routine that works for you, more power to you. Here’s a regimen that we’ve found works wonders for us that you could possibly incorporate into your daily routine:
- Start with a gentle cleanser to clear away any bacteria and give yourself a fresh slate to work with. We recommend either the PRO Exfoliating Cleanser or the ICE Sal Cleanser.
- In order to fight off the barrage of damaging free radicals you will face throughout the day, you need to give your skin a fighting chance with an antioxidant serum. Antioxidants curb the breakdown of collagen that free radicals cause so put your best foot forward with the antioxidant-rich Hydra C Serum.
- The proper moisture balance keeps your skin’s natural defensive functions working at peak efficiency, so applying a moisturizer to any exposed areas is a must. We recommend the BIO Caviar Crème, the SPA Body Silk Souffle, or the ICE Balancing Lotion.
- Last but certainly not least, you need an SPF applied to all exposed areas every time you walk out the door. As adorable as that happy sun in the above gif is, its UV radiation is your skin’s worst enemy. Bonus points if your SPF also nourishes and repairs your skin, much like the entire Lira SPF line.
While you’re far away in dreamland combing the majestic main of Hugh Jackman as a centaur (or whatever), your skin is hard at work dealing with the things it encountered that day.
Melatonin is released into your body before and during your sleep cycle, which not only makes you a bit drowsy, it also works as an antioxidant to repair the damage done by UV radiation and free radicals throughout the day. HGH (human growth hormone) is also released in the body which aids in your skin’s reparative functions and cellular renewal. In fact, cell turnover rates increase drastically during the night, providing you with fresh, renewed skin faster.
The other interesting thing that happens to your skin when the sun goes down is it becomes slightly more permeable and receptive to topical treatments. The epidermis gets warmer and your pores widen letting more things in and out, including moisture.
Since the night is prime repairing time, your nightly routine should focus on products that can help make these processes more efficient. Here’s a nightly skincare regimen that effectively promotes skin regeneration and healing:
- Just like the daytime routine, you need to start your nightly routine with a fresh slate. A powerful cleanser is even more important at night since you need to wash away the free radicals and pollutants that may have built up during the day.
- When it comes to maximizing the effects of your skincare routine, retinol is the best place to start. This multifaceted vitamin can do everything from boosting collagen production, erasing fine lines, and repairing sun damage to evening skin tone and locking in moisture. The PRO Retinol Crème has everything you need and more to get the most out of your nighttime skincare efforts.
- Finish off your simple bedtime routine with a firming serum to not only help repair the damage your skin may have incurred during the day, but also to turn the tides of the aging process and leave you with a supple, firm complexion. The BIO Lift Crème works wonders to lift, firm, and hydrate your skin while you sleep.
Obviously different people have different skincare needs so the specifics of your routines will vary, but the important part is to recognize and address your skin’s disparate needs throughout your circadian rhythm.
You can find everything you need to round out your daily and nightly skincare routines and so much more at LiraClinical.com!